Entry/Exit to Greece post Brexit

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Yin&Yang

Re: Entry/Exit to Greece post Brexit

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 pm

I believe it is where we received our blue permits from - i.e. the large Police station on your right as you drive into Chania using the Souda Road (the road with all the car showrooms and the IKA building on it). From recollection it was a few stories up. Parking is nigh on impossible.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:04 pm

As Yin&Yang say the Aliens Bureau in Chania is in the main police station which is on the Chania to Souda road. Coming out of Chania it is on the left hand side between where it changes from a one way to a two way system and the traffic lights at the junction with Agnostou Gogoni.

Not everybody got their current EU Residence Certificates, either blue or beige, from there so it is not absolutely certain that we will need to go there and we won't know for sure until the government announces what the system is. On the one hand it is where third country nationals would normally go to get a biometric residence card so, since we will be third country nationals, it would be logical to go there. On the other hand, the files with all our details are currently held in local police stations around the area so it would also be logical to go to that police station. We will find out which it is in due course. There is no need to panic. The absolute earliest cut off is the end of June 2021 and it could be later than that.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:36 am

It is also worth checking whether the Police station from which you obtained your beige or blue permits is still open. Our beige permits were obtained from a now closed station and our files transferred to the main Chania station. Said files were stored in the basement and we had to wait around 45 minutes or so for them to be retrieved. After that it was plain sailing and the Police staff were friendly and efficient.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:16 am

When a lot of the police stations closed some in the Chania area transferred to the Aliens Bureau in Chania but some transferred to other police stations. For example, records held in Galatas transferred to the Aliens Bureau in Chania while those held in Alikianos transferred to Voukolies. I believe Voukolies has also now closed and the records have transferred to a police station somewhere in Palio Gerani, I think.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Would be handy just to go to Vrysses when the time comes!

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 pm

I’m hoping that our local KEP office will handle our application ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:06 am

Yin&Yang wrote:I’m hoping that our local KEP office will handle our application ...

I had to go into a KEP office this morning to collect my renewed driving licence. Yippee! Only 5 months delay this time. I asked them if they would be able to help us to exchange our EU Residence Certificates for the new Biometric Residence Cards and they said NO. We will need to go to the police station in person.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:43 am

Ah well; thanks for enquiring Warwick.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”