Mountain Tea

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
johnincrete

Mountain Tea

Postby johnincrete » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:29 pm

I have developed a taste for tea of the Cretan type - goodbye builders'!

I have been given various about how you make it. I am not interested in tea-bags.

What is your way of making mountain tea?

Kilkis

Re: Mountain Tea

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:13 pm

Good grief, John, you are old enough to remember a time before tea bags. Get a teapot, i.e. some sort of ceramic pot with a handle, spout and lid. Put some of the leaves in it and pour boiling water over them. Leave to brew for a few minutes. Pour through a tea strainer/sieve. Add some Cretan mountain honey if you prefer it sweetened. I've never tried it but it might also work with a piston type cafetière, e.g. Bodum, but you might still need a sieve.

Experiment with the ratio of leaves to water, the brewing time and the amount of honey until it is to your taste. Perhaps start with a teaspoon of leaves for a beaker of water. The more leaves you put for a given amount of water the stronger it will be but, obviously, it will cost more. For the same ratio of leaves to water the longer you leave it to brew the stronger it will be, at no additional cost, but possibly it will be more bitter?

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:52 pm

I’ve often made it with a cafetière, just experiment with how much of the herbs you put in and adjust according to taste.
Someday is now : )

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:41 pm

Kilkis
That's the way I have been doing it using a lovely one-cup brown teapot.

Two locals say no, Use a small saucepan and boil it for 5 min. or until it is to personal taste.

Going to try that way. Trying various quantities of leaf and tasting. I'll let you know

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:08 pm

By all means let everybody else know but don't worry about informing me. I haven't drunk tea of any kind for over 50 years and I have no intention of starting now. I drink coffee, alcohol and water, not necessarily in that order of preference.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:59 am

Two locals say no, Use a small saucepan and boil it for 5 min. or until it is to personal taste.

That's generally how it's done here with malotira. Another factor in variation is adding dyktamnos and mazurana. Also honey if you want it sweet.

Return to “Chatter”