FULL Lockdown Monday 23 March 6a.m. in Greece

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
BST

Re: FULL Lockdown Monday 6a.m. in Greece

Postby BST » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 am

OUR EXPERIENCE YESTERDAY. ALREADY POSTED THIS ON FB SO YOU MIGHT HAVE SEEN IT BEFORE?

We live outside a very small village in a very quiet area. Just took the dog out for a walk with SMS confirmation, passports, residents permits. Only a few hundred yards from home on a back road we were stopped by a police motorcyclist!!!
Do you have papers?
Where are you from?
How long have you been here?
Some confusion over where we lived and where we were walking to...he said that's too far but when we explained again, it was fine. He was trying to read my mobile from 2ms away.
Do you have documents? We showed passports.

I had everything but just thought I'd let everyone know you can get stopped in the back of beyond and they only allow SHORT, LOCAL dog walks.

Ps our nearest bin is only just before where we were stopped. Won't be going there without papers!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:56 am

An ekathimerini article reports that KEDE have posted a movement form for people who go out feeding stray animals to use.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:35 pm

Kilkis wrote:I am not sure I understand the logic of that.

Warwick

As I have said once or twice before Warwick, Logic is a Greek word but not a national characteristic. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Well if you are thinking things are illogical and insane there its certainly worse here in the uk. Today i went to buy some hairdye along with some other bits from Boots.( hairdressers are all shut ) They had a huge supply on the shelves but it had been parcel taped with a sign saying We are not ALLOWED to sell these items as they are non-essential. Seriously? Had to go to the supermarket where they had some and had to get closer to more people by doing that. Oh but booze is obviously essential as the off licences are allowed to stay open.

margarita

Postby margarita » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:05 pm

BST wrote:Ps our nearest bin is only just before where we were stopped. Won't be going there without papers!

It surprises me that going out to the bin is not one of the permitted reasons for leaving home. Maybe you just have to combine it with something else, e.g. I am carrying these full bin bags to increase the efficacy of my personal exercise!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 pm

chrissyg wrote:... Oh but booze is obviously essential as the off licences are allowed to stay open.

To quote the American Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident...

How could anyone doubt it. Let your hair go grey and just drink enough so you don't care.

Warwick

PS I live at the end of a short, approx 50 m long, dirt lane. I put my mailbox on my neighbours wall on the corner of the dirt lane and the very small tarmac road that goes past it, to make life easier for the postman. Technically the dirt lane is a public road not private. Do I need a paper to go to the mailbox?

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 pm

Yeah, there were only darker shades in the supermarket so i either go grey or look like a 63 year old goth. What fun.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:56 pm

Kilkis wrote:Do I need a paper to go to the mailbox?

Of course you do, its law :?

However in the spirit of Greek law, where riding a motorcycle requires you to wear a helmet but just doesn't quite specify where the helmet must be worn....the official permission paper document that you must complete and carry with you when going out does not specify that it must be completed in ink.

Just fill it out in pencil then rub out the the date and time for next time you want to use it. Job done.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 pm

Keltz wrote:

Of course you do, its law :?...

But there isn't a section for collecting my mail? Nor for taking the rubbish to the bin which is about 150 m from my gate? I don't regard either activity as exercise so if I tick box 6 I am lying. What about the people who have to collect their mail from a box in the post office or at the side of the road somewhere? For some of them it would be possible to walk there so they could tick box 6 but I know people who live too far from their mailbox to walk there so they have to go in their car. They can't then use box 6, because you can't take your car to take exercise, but no other box is appropriate?

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:18 am

Kilkis wrote:
Keltz wrote:

But there isn't a section for collecting my mail? Nor for taking the rubbish to the bin which is about 150 m from my gate? I don't regard either activity as exercise so if I tick box 6 I am lying. What about the people who have to collect their mail from a box in the post office or at the side of the road somewhere? For some of them it would be possible to walk there so they could tick box 6 but I know people who live too far from their mailbox to walk there so they have to go in their car. They can't then use box 6, because you can't take your car to take exercise, but no other box is appropriate?

Warwick

I believe the Douma is scheduled to hold a special sitting to work out special exemptions for pedants. :)

Tim.

Edit. I don't mean Douma, do I? I mean Vouli. A perfect example of not posting on forums when you're halfway down your second bottle of red!
Last edited by Tim on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:01 am

Well here's a simple question. Vehicle repair shops have been allowed to remain open so people can get necessary repairs done to their vehicles. Which of the six boxes does that come under? A couple of days before the lock down came in a friend of mine needed a serious repair done on his car. If it wasn't done it would become undriveable very quickly. He needs the car to fetch food as there is no supermarket close enough. What should he have done if the situation arose just after the lock down? What would you do if it happened to you tomorrow? If the police are going to be pedantic about how they enforce the regulation, which reports suggest that they are, then you need to think pedantically. If you aren't allowed to go to a repair shop why are they open? If you are allowed to go then why isn't it one of the options? Call that sort of question pedantry if you like but I call it bloody common sense.

I am not encouraging anybody to break the rules. I certainly don't want this virus to spread. Largely I am not setting foot outside my property but there are two things I have to do. Every month I have to go to a pharmacy to get my medication. Periodically I have to go to the supermarket to get food. I have no one to do this for me. I am not aware of any support system that has been set up to do these things for me. If there is please let me know. I am not going anywhere near a doctors. If I cannot get my prescription I will simply pay full price. I am not going anywhere near a bank. I don't need cash. I have no pets to walk and I am not taking any exercise. I don't know anybody who needs my help. Believe me I am taking these regulations very seriously.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:21 am

There are a lot of cycling enthusiasts around of all nations. I guess that's illegal now unless you cycle to a supermarket???

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:41 am

Perhaps the garage can pickup the car or breakdown recovery used. If either are not allowed to do that then, until the rules are clarified it sounds that local support is needed for anyone who cannot walk or drive to the supermarket.

I would suggest anyone in this situation could post their location here and accept offers of help from someone in their village or nearby to pickup essentials for them. Perhaps a new thread should be started for that.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am

Good idea! We’ve been calling people to say when we’re planning a food shop and do they want anything but so far other friends or neighbours have beat us to it.
Someday is now : )

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am

Kilkis wrote:
Keltz wrote:

Warwick

Sounds a bit like should I walk up Meskla gorge and ignore the hand written advice or do my own thing haho :roll:

Return to “General Discussion & News”