Coronavirus video

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Coronavirus video

Postby filippos » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:52 pm

There's an interesting and informative video (professionally produced) about how the coronavirus damages us and contains a clear explanation of the importance of social separation in limiting the spread. It was sent to me by my accountant who, in turn, had received it from another client.
I have permission to re-post the link which is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtN-goy ... e=youtu.be

If you want to avoid the scary bit about what Covid-19 does jump to 4min 35s where the bit about containment starts.

I've been told that the link can be passed on as often as anyone wishes.

paul g

Re: Coronavirus video

Postby paul g » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:40 pm

worth watching, even the scary bit.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:12 pm

Worth adding a few figures to the otherwise excellent video, from a press conference by the Governor of New York State this evening. The average non-COVID-19 patient, e.g. viral pneumonia caused by flu or bacterial pneumonia, is on a ventilator for 3 or 4 days. The average COVID-19 patient needs to be on a ventilator for 11 or 12 days. Those are the ones that typically recover but it is this increased time that a single patient needs on a ventilator that puts such massive stress on the healthcare system, together with the massive number of patients who need non-ventilated hospital care. Some patients are on a ventilator for 20 to 30 days. Anybody who is on a ventilator for that length of time has a low chance of recovery whatever the reason they are on it. Ventilators can be life saving but they are not benign.

Warwick

PS The contrast between the highly factual presentation by the Governor and the highly non-factual self aggrandising presentations by the President is stark.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:48 pm

Kilkis wrote:Worth adding a few figures to the otherwise excellent video, from a press conference by the Governor of New York State this evening. ... ... ... ... Warwick

The video creators did say in the comments below/after the video that they will be doing their best to edit it to add any relevant new information but stated that to do it properly and accurately takes much hard work and time. Their additional comment was along the lines, We'll do it as fast as possible but be patient with us.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:35 am

My comment wasn't in any way intended as a criticism of the video. As I said, I think it is excellent.

I added the figures because they are important. I think they are reasonably accurate since they are based on hospitals in New York State reporting their experience on the front line. People seem to think along the lines that COVID-19 is going to mean that twice as many people will need ventilators compared to normal so we need twice as many ventilators. Put whatever figure you like in that statement, e.g. three times as many, four times as many etc. If, however, COVID-19 patients typically need to be on ventilation for three times as long as normal that means you need six times as many or nine times or twelve times depending what figure you put in the first statement. If some need it for even longer that increases the multiplier still further or you simply take people off ventilation if they haven't recovered in 12 days.

I didn't add my comment to the comments under the video because I acknowledge that it is up to the authors to decide what extra information they want to add. I post it here as additional information for readers of this forum.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:24 pm

From one bloody pedant to another, the opening words to your comment are, "Worth adding a few figures to the otherwise excellent video,... ". It's the word "otherwise" that implies a shortcoming of the video; that the video would have been excellent had the figures been included. "Worth adding a few new / a few recently announced figures to the video.." has no negative connotations.
Sorry, Warwick, but we pedants need to stick together.

Marooned

Postby Marooned » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks for sharing!

This video visualizes the spread of germs in everyday life, and I found it very helpful as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5-dI74zxPg

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 pm

I have no strong criticism of the video but I wish people presenting this type of information would stop using the generic term "germ". The term means any pathogen that causes disease and includes bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoa and prions. All these pathogens have different characteristics and are susceptible to different solutions. Using generic terms leads people to confuse possible solutions and employ ineffective ones. We all know people who get a viral infection, like cold or flu, and immediately rush out and take antibiotics, which are totally ineffective against viruses.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”