British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Joan

Re: British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:09 pm

Related to the above postings, I’m confused.

We had EasyJet tickets from Gatwick to Chania for July 11th. The flight was cancelled last week, 16 days in advance.
We could see from the EJ website that all LGW to CHQ flights had been cancelled up until July 13th.

Then we had yesterday’s unsurprising announcement, seemingly putting off everything until July 15th at the earliest.

BUT … even as I type this (1700 BST on June 30th) EasyJet is prepared to sell me tickets from Luton to Heraklion departing tomorrow (July 1st) … or on any Saturday, Monday or Wednesday thereafter.

Needless to say, I can’t get through to EasyJet to ask them what they are playing at.
Needless to say I’ll be looking at Luton departures and Heraklion arrivals tomorrow to see what happens.

Has anybody got an explanation?

Joan

Joan

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:32 pm

PS Re excess deaths see this afternoon's link https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53233066

Joan

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm

Cant help you Joan because it makes no sense. We keep moving our fights and today Ryanair cancelled our 15th flights even though they should be alright to go. Have now booked with Jet2 so we will see. I thought Easyjet werent flying at all to Greece until 28th July. It is actually impossible to speak to the airlines at the moment, it is very frustrating.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 pm

The latest re quarantine for all nationalities, arriving from now, who test positive. It clearly states tourists & doesn't mention residents.
https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/ ... gn-greeks/

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 pm

True but there are no direct flights until the 15th anyway and they do keep saying the UK is banned so im pretty sure i cant get there before then.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 pm

chrissyg, direct flights to the islands from countries other than the UK start landing tomorrow morning. Heraklion Airport has 40 scheduled flight arrivals from abroad, estimates of around 4,000-6,000 passengers, depending on how full the flights are. Random testing will take place, they will be randomly testing around 850 people at Heraklion everyday.

If you are that desperate to get here, you can! Do what a lot of other British people, who have homes & businesses here have done & are still doing. The most favoured routes have been Lufthansa Manchester, or Heathrow, to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Athens, then Athens to wherever in Greece they are going. Other people have been coming via Paris, Zurich, Sofia, Budapest and a lot have used Eurostar to Brussells, flight to Athens etc. A new route now is UK to Dublin to Greece. I also know of people with flights UK to Germany, then direct flight to Herakliion,starting tomorrow.

People from the UK are not banned, just direct flights from the UK!!!

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 pm

But wouldnt we have to quarantine?

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:56 pm

And is that logical? The risk is from people , not airports.

Sigma

Postby Sigma » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:53 pm

We are booked to fly from Manchester to Heraklion on the 18th July with easyjet will have to see if the gods allow.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 pm

chrissyg, because you would be flying via an allowed country, it is only random testing. Everyone arriving in Greece from tomorrow, has to complete a Protocol form online 48 hours before landing in Greece. It is from this, that they will select the people for testing. I would think, that those originating from the UK are more likely to be selected. You are tested & allowed to proceed to your final destination, where you are expected to self isolate/quarantine for up to 24 hours, people who test positve will be notified within that time & must then continue self isolation at home for 14 days, or in the case of tourists, they will be transferred to one of the special quarantine hotels.

This is the decision the Greek Government has made. They have also said, that if the number of infections is too high, they will bring in local lockdowns of resorts, and/or complete islands.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:05 pm

Sigma, unfortunately, I can't see it happening, the current ban is until 15th July & will be reviewd in 2 weeks time. Unless things change drastically in the UK by then, the ban will be extended for a further 2 weeks. With talk of various local lockdowns starting in the UK, the main one being Leicester, I think it's almost impossible.

Sigma

Postby Sigma » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:15 pm

We only booked last week her indoors keeps saying to me they should have cancelled our flights by now as they have to give you notice but maybe not will have to see will report if any change.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 pm

Sigma, some people were due to be flying Bristol to Chania at around 6am on the 1st July. They had already checked in online & had their boarding passes. Their flight was only cancelled around midday on the 30th June. The airline was still selling tickets for this flight even after the news of the extended ban had been released here & the UK.

Andy

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:58 pm

Note the first date for flights is not strictly 15th July. It is 23:59 on 15 July.

http://www.ypa.gr/news/nees-aeroporikes-odhgies-notams-isxyoyn-ews-15-ioylioy-2020

Of course the sites will still let you book the 15th!

Joan

Postby Joan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:01 pm

21.40 on Tuesday June 30th: EasyJet website entries for Luton to Heraklion suddenly changed to “No flights available” for tomorrow (July 1st) and up to and including July 15th.

July 1st: This morning nothing showed on Luton's departure list but bizarrely the supposed arrival was still showing at Heraklion!

And we've just this minute had our July 17th Gatwick to Chania flight cancelled...

Sigh!

Joan

Return to “General Discussion & News”