Nothing has changed on here then

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Saddler

Nothing has changed on here then

Postby Saddler » Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 pm

As a once avid reader of this Forum i find it very sad that just about every thread on no matter what subject has been allowed to be dominated by one individual. If someone were to somewhere mention ballet, this individual would reply with paragraph upon paragraph on the optimum diameter of the tutu and the merits of the aerodynamics of different material for the shoe. I'm sure i'm not the only one in thinking there would be far more contributors if it wasn't for the fact that they know this self thinking superior being is not waiting in the wings to correct, admonish, ridicule or patronise their posts with unfeasible, limitless knowledge. Who is this individual trying to impress. It's the literary equivalent of having a fierce looking dog with a studded collar and chain or a sporty looking car with large exhausts. Just because you have nothing else to do than trawl the internet and then regurgitate pages of inane tedious drivel on any subject and send everyone to sleep is not, i think, particularly enlightening.

Think of the instances where said individual has started threads in the expectation that someone will take the bait so presenting the opportunity of displaying their undoubted superior wisdom. There has even been occasions where the individual has answered their own posts, presumably because everyone else has nodded off. It is pathetic. When at one time it used to be an enjoyable few minutes to browse the Forum, i now find myself skipping anything that includes this persons moniker, which doesn't leave a lot else as practically every thread on every subject is infected with this irritant.

It's such a shame that this once interesting and informative site over many years has been reduced to dominance by one gigantic bore.

Anyone for Interkriti?

Marooned

Re: Nothing has changed on here then

Postby Marooned » Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 pm

I didn't want to go directly down the path of "Saddler is clearly Kamisiana," but then Kamisiana went on to post about ballet shoes in the Chatter forum, after this thread was started. Who knows, maybe it's a coincidence, or two people who really love ballet.

But I would put out some advice, just to set the tone of the thread, or just to say something before it sinks to the bottom - take a break! I personally have found expat forums to be some of the prickliest places on the internet (and that's saying something!), and although I don't understand why that is the case, what is clear, is that this is the worst kind of place to pick a fight. You'll be fighting against self-sufficient world weary travellers who are more likely to be amused than to fight back. There's no winning. Better just to assume that you're right, everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot, and get on with enjoying life (especially if you're here on crete, where summer has begun and the restrictions are lifting). It would be anti-greek to do anything else.

Phild

Postby Phild » Sat May 23, 2020 3:49 pm

There is a handy button on every user profile called "Add Foe". Just click on the username in any post to see their profile page.

If you don't want to see someone's posts you can press that button, and you will not see their posts - but you will see a link to press if they have posted in a topic, and you really do want to see their posts.

I have just tried it, and it really works! :-)
----
Phil
----

BST

Postby BST » Sat May 23, 2020 4:50 pm

Easier to just not bother with the forum unless you are deliberately looking for someone to be rude about :wink:

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sat May 23, 2020 5:03 pm

The Forum can get a bit like a British Legion public bar at times full of older folk who think they are at home and have nothing better to do than argue over the remote control to the TV.

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Come on ladies and gentlemen lets enjoy the forum as it is
great for helping people who have started a new life on the
island such as i, information from people who have lived here
is very valuable and experiences respected. So let`s have a
great summer and enjoy the time before the masses of tourists
arrive to which i was one not long ago.

Clarebear

Postby Clarebear » Sat May 23, 2020 8:19 pm

We are a couple that have lived here for seven years the last two as beige permit holders and tax payers .we did not realise exactly what you had to do to live here legally. Our good friends ann and Bill told us the requirements for legal living here which we have forfilled, unfortunately they have sold there olive farm and returned to the uk .At there leaving party we had the good fortune to meet Warwick, the man is a mine of legal information and with this forum has helped us time and time again , the information on here is priceless , we are a couple that were lucky enough to retire early myself at 55 now 62 and my wife at 49 now57 so we had to buy private healthcare ( generali) this forum has been invaluable especially Warwick thank you all for making crete our right choice .

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sat May 23, 2020 10:05 pm

Sadler, I do not know personally, the person, you are talking about, but I do recognise, from this forum, who you are referring to. If you don't want to see his posts, scoll on by. I think most of us here, know his situation, it's life. I think you are being EXTREMELY rude & nasty, for no reason.

I see that you've only been a member of this group for less tha 1 year. I've been a member since around 2007/8, I had a problem with my computer a few years ago & lost all my passwords & had to re-register with a slightly different name. If you don't like this group, or take serious offence with one of the most knowledgeable, longest standing members of this group, please feel free to leave!!!

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat May 23, 2020 10:37 pm

I think most of us realise there is no such person as "Saddler". There is just a "Sad"....who is best ignored.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sat May 23, 2020 10:51 pm

I really do NOT understand why people join groups, using pseudonyms, to hide behind. Mine is simple, it's Ros, short version of Rosalind,1st letter of surname M, born on 21st. Several people here use pseudonyms, but sign off with their own name. I think only people wih something to hide or cowards, use an unidentifiable pseudonym & there are several of those on here!

Clementine

Postby Clementine » Sun May 24, 2020 6:27 am

“He who knows not,
and knows not that he knows not,
is a fool; shun him.

He who knows not,
and knows that he knows not,
is a student; Teach him.

He who knows,
and knows not that he knows,
is asleep; Wake him.

He who knows,
and knows that he knows,
is Wise; Follow him.”

― Arabian

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun May 24, 2020 7:10 am

Saddler wrote:
It's such a shame that this once interesting and informative site over many years has been reduced to dominance by one gigantic bore.

Anyone for Interkriti?

And this bore all of a sudden got awfully quiet? :roll:

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Sun May 24, 2020 8:48 am

Mouche

And this bore all of a sudden got awfully quiet?

I think the person you are referring to has gone quiet as knowing him doesnt waste words and insults. If i was him i would stay quiet and not even reply to your comment as over time "most" of your comments seem to be argumentative or trying to spark a reaction. Its very easy to switch of a persons comments which i do frequently with yours.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sun May 24, 2020 8:55 am

Who's got the Doofah?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 24, 2020 9:52 am

mouche wrote:...And this bore all of a sudden got awfully quiet? :roll:

I'm not sure what there is to respond to, Mouche? Saddler's very first post on LiC was to complain about a post somebody had made. Now he's complaining about my posts or perhaps both you and he mean somebody else? Who knows? He's a complainer, end of story. I'm surprised anybody responded to it, apart from those who have the same opinion of course. I think the only thing that surprised me is the circumspect way he went about it. If he thinks I'm a tw*t why doesn't he just say so. I don't have a problem with that.

Warwick

PS I have never watched ballet, I don't know anything about ballet nor do I have any interest in it so I won't be posting any sort of advice about it.

Return to “General Discussion & News”