LivinginCrete.Net Forum Forum Index LivinginCrete.Net Forum
Visit the Living in Crete website WWW.LIVINGINCRETE.NET for the best information on living, working, retiring and buying property in Crete. FORUM. MESSAGE BOARD. JOBS, BUSINESS & LONG TERM RENTALS

HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving to England from Crete.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LivinginCrete.Net Forum Forum Index -> Overland to Crete & Ferries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Driving to England from Crete. Reply with quote

I know I have seen some good advice on this subject but cannot find it.
I am considering driving to England late July - I am basically wanting to tune in to those people who have driven back and know their stuff on this matter.
I can read a map and book Ferrys etc but the valued experience of others can only be beneficial.
i am grateful for any assistance on this subject.
Topdriller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzer,

I've done the trip four times and have gone four different routes. The ferries are the high cost, as are the tolls if you go through France and drive on their excellent motorways.

Crete to Pireaus is obviously a must but then you can either drive north or cross over to Patra and take a ferry to Ancona, Bari or Venice. I've done the drive north and wouldn't recommend it unless you have time and a second driver to share the drive ie take the ferry from Patras to Italy.

Going the Italy, Switzerland Germany route is probably the cheaper option and if prepared to drive 10 hours a day you will only need one hotel night. The Italy France route is probably shorter but again it's at least one hotel night and the toll roads will cost around 120 over and above.

Both routes offer great scenery although the north west of Italy is busy and the drive is a little more tiring because of the traffic and windy motorway, multiple tunnels etc.

If you have time, and since you are retired you should have a bit if this, then plan your route via places you might want to see. Last time we went was in March and we took the Patras ferry to Bari, crossed Italy to the western side and spent two days / three nights in Pompeii and Herculaneum. The experience bettered my childhood expectations. We then drove north, spent a night north of Cannes and then a further night in Metz in northern France. My Great Uncle died there in 1913, killed in a car crash - he was the chauffeur!

I'm sure others will give you detailed plans but my advice would be to check Tripadvisor for well reviewed hotels and enjoy the trip because at our age there is little point driving non stop and missing out on the food, the wine, the sights!

Enjoy.

Jon
Greekislandsremovals.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.livingincrete.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=6492&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The post you want to see is half way down Page 3 in General Discussion. Cool
fuzer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John and gir.com I am very grateful for the information.
STEVE.W

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my detailed posting from last year & reverse it!

http://www.livingincrete.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=6492&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Steve
jet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving to England from Crete. Reply with quote

fuzer wrote:
I know I have seen some good advice on this subject but cannot find it.
I am considering driving to England late July - I am basically wanting to tune in to those people who have driven back and know their stuff on this matter.
I can read a map and book Ferrys etc but the valued experience of others can only be beneficial.
i am grateful for any assistance on this subject.

I'll take the auto/car train Bozen(Bolzano)-Dusseldorf costs about 200 Euro incl couchette and breakfast and there is a discount for automobile club members. It is cheaper than the petrol prices for the same route. I always stay at Hotel Main Street in San Marino for 40 Euro incl breakfast
filippos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this page of my site helpful, too.
Kilkis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect to the Balkan route:

1 If your car has UK number plates you might find yourself "unwelcome" in Serbia. I don't think they have forgotten that we bombed the sh*t out of them. Greece has always tended to be regarded as a friendly country so Greek plates should be OK.

2 I wouldn't advise driving at night in FYROM. Doing 100 kph on an unlit main road and finding an ox cart without any lights doing about 2 kph suddenly appear at the limit of your headlights is quite exciting.

3 AK-47 might not be good enough in Kosovo. We armed the UK (KLA) with the latest western weapons. While technically a liberation army they are in reality the main drugs traffickers in the Balkans ferrying drugs through the territories they control to the Mafia in Italy for onward sale throughout Europe.

Warwick
fuzer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK 47 > not used that road Kilkis is a Toll road ?? Laughing
fuzer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info Filipos - thanks.
ScotinCrete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Sat Nav if you can, made our journey's stress free. Routes can be changed when/if you want but the best thing was when I got tired we typed in hotels and that was it. Buy from E-Bay and resell it on the same if its only one journey.
AK47's are dangerous but Milan, at night, with rain, in the rush hour that's a real adrenaline rush Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LivinginCrete.Net Forum Forum Index -> Overland to Crete & Ferries All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: