Driving to England from Crete.

Overland driving routes and ferries
fuzer

Driving to England from Crete.

Postby fuzer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 am

I know I have seen some good advice on this subject but cannot find it.
I am considering driving to England late July - I am basically wanting to tune in to those people who have driven back and know their stuff on this matter.
I can read a map and book Ferrys etc but the valued experience of others can only be beneficial.
i am grateful for any assistance on this subject.
ALWAYS FINISH WHAT YOU STAR

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:27 am

Fuzer,

I've done the trip four times and have gone four different routes. The ferries are the high cost, as are the tolls if you go through France and drive on their excellent motorways.

Crete to Pireaus is obviously a must but then you can either drive north or cross over to Patra and take a ferry to Ancona, Bari or Venice. I've done the drive north and wouldn't recommend it unless you have time and a second driver to share the drive ie take the ferry from Patras to Italy.

Going the Italy, Switzerland Germany route is probably the cheaper option and if prepared to drive 10 hours a day you will only need one hotel night. The Italy France route is probably shorter but again it's at least one hotel night and the toll roads will cost around €120 over and above.

Both routes offer great scenery although the north west of Italy is busy and the drive is a little more tiring because of the traffic and windy motorway, multiple tunnels etc.

If you have time, and since you are retired you should have a bit if this, then plan your route via places you might want to see. Last time we went was in March and we took the Patras ferry to Bari, crossed Italy to the western side and spent two days / three nights in Pompeii and Herculaneum. The experience bettered my childhood expectations. We then drove north, spent a night north of Cannes and then a further night in Metz in northern France. My Great Uncle died there in 1913, killed in a car crash - he was the chauffeur!

I'm sure others will give you detailed plans but my advice would be to check Tripadvisor for well reviewed hotels and enjoy the trip because at our age there is little point driving non stop and missing out on the food, the wine, the sights!

Enjoy.

Jon
We need men who dream of things that never were.

Greekislandsremovals.com

Postby Greekislandsremovals.com » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:43 am

http://www.livingincrete.net/board/view ... sc&start=0

The post you want to see is half way down Page 3 in General Discussion. 8)

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks John and gir.com I am very grateful for the information.

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:59 pm

See my detailed posting from last year & reverse it!

http://www.livingincrete.net/board/view ... highlight=

Steve

jet

Re: Driving to England from Crete.

Postby jet » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:43 pm

fuzer wrote:I know I have seen some good advice on this subject but cannot find it.
I am considering driving to England late July - I am basically wanting to tune in to those people who have driven back and know their stuff on this matter.
I can read a map and book Ferrys etc but the valued experience of others can only be beneficial.
i am grateful for any assistance on this subject.

I'll take the auto/car train Bozen(Bolzano)-Dusseldorf costs about 200 Euro incl couchette and breakfast and there is a discount for automobile club members. It is cheaper than the petrol prices for the same route. I always stay at Hotel Main Street in San Marino for 40 Euro incl breakfast

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:01 am

You may find this page of my site helpful, too.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:09 pm

With respect to the Balkan route:

1 If your car has UK number plates you might find yourself "unwelcome" in Serbia. I don't think they have forgotten that we bombed the sh*t out of them. Greece has always tended to be regarded as a friendly country so Greek plates should be OK.

2 I wouldn't advise driving at night in FYROM. Doing 100 kph on an unlit main road and finding an ox cart without any lights doing about 2 kph suddenly appear at the limit of your headlights is quite exciting.

3 AK-47 might not be good enough in Kosovo. We armed the UÇK (KLA) with the latest western weapons. While technically a liberation army they are in reality the main drugs traffickers in the Balkans ferrying drugs through the territories they control to the Mafia in Italy for onward sale throughout Europe.

Warwick

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:13 pm

AK 47 > not used that road Kilkis is a Toll road ?? :lol:

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Interesting info Filipos - thanks.

ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:53 am

Get a Sat Nav if you can, made our journey's stress free. Routes can be changed when/if you want but the best thing was when I got tired we typed in hotels and that was it. Buy from E-Bay and resell it on the same if its only one journey.
AK47's are dangerous but Milan, at night, with rain, in the rush hour that's a real adrenaline rush :lol:

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”