Stray Dog

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Al

Stray Dog

Postby Al » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:19 pm

A stray dog has taken up residence in our garden and has been with us for at least five days, maybe longer. It is small, terrier-like and behaves strangely. It seems to be waiting for something and rarely moves from its position on a low wall beside our house. When approached it shows every sign of fear and distress. If approached more closely it growls, bares its teeth and tries to attack. It has not touched the water we put out for it.

Our question to the forum is, does anyone know of an agency or individual in the Apokoronas area who might know what to do to help the animal? A phone number would be handy. Any information would be gratefully received.

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:59 pm

You must get it to drink water as will become dehydrated..is it eating? will it eat? if so mix water with food and put near it. Use something to be able to get near the dog, like a tennis racket to protect yourself and don't retreat, stand firm and inch forward until it surrenders, then take to the vet as quickly as possible, or get help from someone close by who can do this. That's all I have.

Rej

Postby Rej » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Silke Wrobel is a German lady who devotes her life to animal welfare in the Chania area. She is based in Chania and Akrotiri. She will help but she is in great demand and works under enormous pressure. Her number is 6946881155.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm certain this is the council's responsibility. Report to the town hall in Vrises.

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:09 pm

SatCure wrote:I'm certain this is the council's responsibility. Report to the town hall in Vrises.

It might well be the council's responsibility, but the OP is concerned for the animal's immediate welfare. Contacting one of the local welfare groups is by far the best thing to do; even if they can't help directly (because they are snowed under) they will be able to give advice.

Al

Postby Al » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:58 am

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I will report the eventual outcome.

Return to “General Discussion & News”