cremation in Greece

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
allan

cremation in Greece

Postby allan » Sun May 03, 2015 11:27 am

An interesting article from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32165261

Kilkis

Re: cremation in Greece

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Some development on this issue according to this ekathimerini article.

I have posted this as a reply on this rather old thread rather than start a new one as Allen's original post has a link to quite a good BBC News article giving all the background for those who weren't aware of the problem.

Warwick

PS Edited on 13/03/2019 to correct error in link as noted by YoMo below.
Last edited by Kilkis on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Just read that too. 13 years after the law was passed. Looks like it could happen before we die.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:21 pm

One can but hope, Jean. At present I think the easiest and cheapest option for anybody who would prefer cremation is Bulgaria. I know of somebody who used that option and I understand that the funeral director arranged everything including transport of the body and return of the ashes. I would guess, but don't know for sure, that they probably started using cremation when it was a communist, soviet-satellite country and the orthodox church there had no voice at all. The main opposition in Greece seems to have been from the orthodox church, which is still closely integrated with government.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:44 am

Kilkis wrote:Some development on this issue according to [urlhttp://www.ekathimerini.com/238477/article/ekathimerini/news/minister-signs-decision-for-athens-cremation-facility]this ekathimerini article[/url].

I have posted this as a reply on this rather old thread rather than start a new one as Allen's original post has a link to quite a good BBC News article giving all the background for those who weren't aware of the problem.

Warwick

Link has errors in formatting. Should be http://www.ekathimerini.com/238477/article/ekathimerini/news/minister-signs-decision-for-athens-cremation-facility

Andrew

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:07 am

It would be good if this move gathered some momentum. It is true that some funeral directors here will take the deceased (and relatives if presumably they pay their way) to Bulgaria and then return with the ashes. Certainly one of the two in Kalyves will do that - last price I heard was in the region of €3500 . When the legislation was first passed in 2006 the government, craftily, made it the responsibility of each municipality to get it sorted; which meant that the local parish priest would be putting his foot down very heavily and no-one was willing to break with tradition. Slowly slowly - like a lot of things here! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:49 am

Jean wrote:Just read that too. 13 years after the law was passed. Looks like it could happen before we die.
Maybe for you youngsters.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:18 pm

bobscott wrote:... last price I heard was in the region of €3500 ...

Not a ridiculous amount when you compare it to a burial.

The funeral director will probably charge between €1,000 and €1,500 for their services, including the coffin, assuming you don't want anything too elaborate. The church will probably want between €500 and €1,500 to rent a grave for 3 years. If you want the concrete grave clad with marble that will be around €1,000, depending on which marble you choose. After 3 years you then face the decision of whether to pay to extend the period, if the priest will allow you to do that, or to exhume the body, which may not have fully decomposed, and paying to put the bones in an ossuary.

There can also be organisational problems. A friend, whose wife died two years ago, had great difficulty finding a grave to have her buried. All the cemeteries claimed they had no graves available. The funeral director was going crazy phoning every priest within a reasonable distance. When they did eventually find an available grave the priest knew they were desperate and originally asked for €4,500 to rent a grave for 3 years. Some locals had a quiet word with him and he reduced the price considerably. Not something you want to have to deal with when you are grieving a loss.

I think €3,500 is a bargain.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Went to a disinterment a year or few back and the body wasn't 'ready' so they just put the lid on and waited another year! Good old Greece. Wouldn't really want to be anywhere else. Bob.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:54 pm

The latest on the internet is that the go-ahead has been given for a crematorium in Athens and to operational in 2019, good news for those who prefer cremation. :D
Dave H

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:18 pm

moved 2 crete wrote:The latest on the internet is that the go-ahead has been given for a crematorium in Athens and to operational in 2019, good news for those who prefer cremation. :D

Yes. All we have to hope is that the Department of Antiquities doesn't find some archaeological remains when digging out the foundations. Or perhaps the back pocket brigade don't find a way to siphon off the funds! Bob

paul g

Postby paul g » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:26 am

they'll never afford the gas bill.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:50 am

paul g wrote:they'll never afford the gas bill.

Or just not pay and get closed down.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:25 am

Just to add on this thread, I was in the unfortunate position around 18 months ago of having to repatriate an elderly tourist who died here on holiday, with no travel insurance. The total cost was 4000 euros, a sum little more than the cremation in Bulgaria cost. Included all the paperwork, translations, embalming, zinc lined coffin and the flights from Crete to Heathrow. The Greek funeral directors did everything and liaised with the UK funeral directors.

We were all surprised at the cost of 4000 euros, we had expected it to be more like a sum of 8,000 or10,000 euros

There are the additional (normal) funeral director costs in the UK too, of course in this scenario, plus the cost of transferring from the airport to place of rest, which is around £2 per mile.

international Funeral directors in Crete, who can deal with repatriations, are listed here on the main site http://www.livingincrete.net/funeraldirectors.html

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:57 am

If anybody is contemplating repatriation to the UK for cremation I would advise them to get the person issuing the death certificate to include a precise medical cause of death not just "natural causes", which can be quite common. In the UK a local coroner can authorise a burial of a repatriated body but a cremation requires a licence from the Home Office. It can be very difficult to get such a licence if the death certificate is not precise. A lot depends on the individual at the Home Office dealing with the licence but some can be quite officious and obstructive, which is not very pleasant when you are dealing with a bereavement. I speak from experience.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”