Driving in Crete Tips     Greek Highway Code      Road Tax Sima      MOT / KTEO / IKTEO
Drivers Licence for Non Greeks    Car Insurance
Copyright 2004-2016  Carol Palioudaki. Driving  in Crete & Greece.   www.livingincrete.net
Living in Crete
Driving in Crete
Index > Settling In > Driving in Crete
Living in Crete guide book
Driving in Crete
& Greece
Car Insurance

What to look out for when you buy car insurance in Greece
by Stavros Tsichlis, Insurance Advisor

According to Bank of Greece’s website (www.bankofgreece.gr) there are more than 100
insurance companies operating in Greece at the moment. This means that a company might
be legally registered in Greece but might not have the know-how or financial capabilities to
support its customers.

This became apparent after the suspension of Evima insurance and Diethnis Enosi insurance
this year leaving thousands of customers without insurance cover. Bank of Greece has
intensified checks on insurance companies and there may be more to be suspended soon.

So when you look out for insurance in Greece do not only base your decision on premiums,
as a cheap premium might mean that the company is trying to attract customers in order to
compensate for its poor financial performance. Instead, look for reputable companies that
will give you value for money, big organisations or International firms who also operate in

Below are some points to take into consideration:

1) What is the company’s financial record? What is the agreed timeframe for a
claim to be handled? What is the solvency margin of the firm you are about to
sign up to? You insurance advisor should be able to answer the above questions.

2) Road Assistance service: Do you have cover only after an accident or for
any reason that the car is immobilised? (e.g. out of petrol, flat tire, mechanical
failure etc). Ask your insurance advisor.

3) Green Card: Is it issued for free or there is an extra premium in order to get

4) Is the commercial value of your vehicle reflected in your plan? Your contract
should be revised each term in order to reflect the correct commercial value of
your vehicle! Otherwise you might end up paying a higher premium for a value
that will not be reflected in a compensation.

5) Is your advisor / company accessible at all times? Is there a 24-hour help line
when your advisor is not able to pick up the phone?

6) Do you have cover against un-insured drivers in your plan? (Even in the
most basic plan). Unfortunately due to economic conditions Greeks cut back on
their expenses and there are more than one million vehicles in Greece
without cover at the moment! And remember this: A drunk driver is considered
a driver with no insurance cover by the Greek insurance firms.

Stavros Tsichlis

The Greek Highway Code and Fines

Police road blocks are fairly common, especially on certain stretches of the National Road,
and the ‘traffic’ police can stop any car they choose, without reason.

It is compulsory to wear seat belts and, if riding a motorcycle, a helmet.
The fact that many locals take little notice of this law does not mean that they don’t get fined
(while putting their lives at risk) for not following the rules if they get stopped by the police.
Be warned!  Fines are steep - 700 euros. That's a whole month's wages in Crete based on a
low-average income.

There are speed traps and regular breathalyzing (known locally as the ‘alko test’) on the
main roads, with heavy fines and penalty points on your licence for driving offences. If you
are caught driving while heavily under the influence of alcohol you can be arrested on the
spot, and subsequently lose your licence.


                             Related Page: Importing a Car into Greece
Index > Settling In > Driving in Crete
Traffic in Crete village
Car & Driver Documents For Driving in Greece

You should always carry your drivers licence, car insurance certificate and registration
documents with you in the car. If you are stopped by the police while driving and you do not
have these with you, you can be fined.

Driving Licence

If you are a holder of a valid driving license from one European Union country and are
resident in another, you are no longer required to exchange it if your normal residence is in
a Member State other than that which issued your licence. But you may ask to exchange it if
you wish.

If you are renewing a driving licence you must do it in the country where you normally
Reference Europa.eu

For Converting or Renewing a valid driving licence issued by a EU Member State into the
corresponding Greek licence
 see here

Converting a valid driving licence from USA Canada Australia Japan South Africa and
South Korea into the corresponding Greek licence
 see here

Vehicle Tax /Road Tax / Tax Disc  Σήμα (Sima) / Τέλη Κυκλοφορίας 2016

Car tax in Greece is payable yearly, with a December 31 deadline for the following year.

Since 2014 authorities no longer issue tax disc stickers, instead all data will be logged
electronically; vehicle owners will pay by downloading an online application at
TAXISnet and
taking this to a post office, bank or tax office to pay, or they can pay online via web banking.
A graphic guide on how to pay can be found on
this link supplied by Stavros Tsichlis of
There are fines for late payment.

Vehicle Tax rates 2016

51 cc to 300 cc 22 euros
301 cc to 758 cc 55 euros
786 cc to 1,071 cc 120 euros
1,072 cc to 1,357 cc 135 euros
1,358 cc to 1,548 cc 225 euros
1,549 cc to 1,738 cc 250 euros
1,739 cc to 1,928 cc 280 euros
1,929 cc to 2,357 cc 615 euros
2,358 cc to 3,000 cc 820 euros
3,001 cc to 4,000 cc 1,025 euros
4,001 cc and above 1,230 euros

There is also an Emissions (gr. CO2 / km.) fees in € / g. CO2 for emissions over 100gr/KM
To see how much you will pay should find CO2 emissions and multiply the grams emitted by
your car. The cost per gram is between 1€ to 2.80€ .

The technical control of the different vehicle categories in Greece is now performed by both
public and private VTCCs (Vehicle Technical Control Centers) or KTEO  and IKTEO centres.

Cars more than 4 years old require a KTEO (Vehicle Technical Control) certificate, similar to
an M.O.T, which must be renewed every 2 years. The test can be carried out at KTEO test
centres run by the Ministry of Transport – there is one in each prefecture – or at any private
test centre, IKTEO (Idiotiko KTEO), of which there are many.

The cost of the KTEO control is approximately 50 Euros, plus the cost of any work that your
vehicle requires. Any work which needs to be carried out can be done at a garage of your
choice, but must be completed and the vehicle returned for the test, within 20 days.

Further information on KTEO at the
Greek Ministry of Transport Website in English

List of  Government KTEO (VTC) Centres in Greece