AIR COOLING FANS

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kamisiana

Re: AIR COOLING FANS

Postby Kamisiana » Sat May 08, 2021 12:37 pm

Dated technology but seemed to work :lol:
https://oldpics.net/punkah-wallah-inter ... -pictures/

shine on

Postby shine on » Sat May 08, 2021 1:46 pm

:D I’m building one.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 am

Brilliant, wonderful Photographs.

Got to advice the wife that there is another purpose to lying on her back. It will help her get fit so we both benefit :D
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:08 am

I should read my post before submitting. Not advice but advise.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 09, 2021 10:58 am

You do realise that you can go back and edit them? Click on the little pencil icon at top right of the post.

Warwick

PS I often read mine after posting and still miss errors. I am fortunate that there are a small group of readers who are only too anxious to draw attention to any mistakes I make.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am

After spending many hours which included emailing Suppliers I have gone back to Amazon Germany and managed to find a seller of my preferred Cooling fan that will deliver to Greece without any extra tariffs.

Once it arrives I will run it for a week or so and then report on value or not. I have selected a 110watt product that is new to the market this year.
I was disappointed that Greek resellers (no one in Greece sells my preferred item) were unable top provide any further product information or who would take responsibility for stupid claims, such as an 80watt item would cool a room of 40 Square Metres.

Unfortunately the wife refused to lie on her back "Punkah Wallah" style. I have advised her that a refusal could be grounds for divorce. Dam woman jumped for joy shouting DO IT.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue May 11, 2021 12:07 pm

Of course there is no tariffs for delivery from Amazon.de to Greece, since they are both in the EU, but sometimes there are quite large delivery charges. I previously bought baggies from Amazon.co.uk and there was a delivery charge for one item that was almost as much as the price but it then only increased by a small amount for each additional one making it economical to buy 10 say. Since Brexit, the company no longer deliver to Greece so I looked on Amazon.de. I found the same items at around the same price with about the same delivery charge BUT if I ordered 10 I had to pay ten times the delivery charge. Ludicrous. This is not always true. Items "Supplied by Amazon" or "Fulfilled by Amazon" usually have the small incremental delivery charge but direct supply can be anything.

So you think that an 80 watt fan won't cool a 40 sqm room but a 100 watt fan will? Good luck with that. Neither will cool the room. If you sit directly in the air flow from the fan the 100 watt one will cool you about 25 % better than the 80 watt one, assuming you use both on full power and they both have the same aerodynamic efficiency. If the air is cold outside at night and you put the fan in front of an open window then either fan will cool the room simply by moving the outside cool air into the room. If you want to maintain a room at a lower temperature than the outside temperature, which is what I regard as cooling, you need to move as much heat out of the room as flows in through the walls and roof. Neither fan is going to do that even with some evaporative cooling.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:34 pm

Warwick wrote
So you think that an 80 watt fan won't cool a 40 sqm room but a 100 watt fan will? Good luck with that

Wrong my friend. I never stated that. I questioned the Company statement that 80 watts would call a 40 square metre room. Never in a million years, also the same Company quoted that the 110 watt fan would cool a 50 square metre room. I never stated that is what I expected. I do not believe the statement.

You are correct, a Fan placed outside pointing into a room will do a much better job that placing the fan inside. An even better method is to also have a fan blowing the hot air out of another open window.

Having said all that a Pedestal fan will only cool a person if directed at them, it will not cool the room. Once one moves out of the fans blowing direction the warmth is felt. Also the Pedestal fan can be very noisy due to the large blades and once the blades fur up some of the benefit goes. Our 2 x 80 watt pedestal fans do a reasonable job, we have a remote control to manage one, the other one does not have a remote (schoolboy error).

However, I wanted to try the "new" to the market bladeless cooling fans, looking for lower decibels and hopefully a better job. I am looking to re, place 2 pedestal fans with one fan.
No one who reads this forum have tried the latest improved versions, or if they have they have kept silent. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, not spent a fortune at the worst I will still end up with a fan if I find the water method does not work.

As I stated in my last post, I will update the Forum following receipt and a 1 or 2 week test once the weather heats up. Sometime next month.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”