Postal deliveries to Kokkino Horio

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
bobscott

Postal deliveries to Kokkino Horio

Postby bobscott » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 pm

This concerns residents in Kokkino Horio, but may well affect others in the Apokoronas area, especially Drapanos, Kefalas, possibly Vamos. Here is a message I have sent out to a few friend in the village:

"Anna has just been to the minimarket to look for any post and there is no post. According to Georgios (the proprietor) , there will be no further postal deliveries to him. Kostas (the postman) rang Georgios this morning to say that he is not in a job any more. The best advice for us is to ring Vrysses post office to ask if there is any mail for us, as individuals! The number is: 28250 51212

This all seems a bit far-fetched, yet it has been on the cards for some time. We have to go to Vamos tomorrow, and will continue on to Vrysses to ask at the PO there just what is planned, if anything. Will be in touch. In the meantime, if you are expecting parcels etc, please ring Vrysses PO on the above number. Every little will help. Bob. "
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

IzzyWhizz

Re: Postal deliveries to Kokkino Horio

Postby IzzyWhizz » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:19 pm

When we moved to Apokoronas 2 years ago from Platanias, we were refused a post office box in Kalyves and told we had to go to Vrysses for one (which we did) so, despite all representations and with this latest information, it would appear that Kalyves' post office will close in the not-too-distant future. Also, when I last visited Vrysses PO, I noticed that all the unallocated post boxes were marked as such, obviously ready for an influx of applications!

However, the post seems to be held up somewhere (I think 'at the border', i.e. Athens Sorting Office), and no post has got through to us at Vrysses for the past 4 weeks. When I questioned this last Friday (29th Jan), I was just given a shrug of the shoulders and told that, unless something has been sent recorded delivery, i.e. with a tracking number, there was nothing they could do about the missing post.

Has anyone else had the same problem and, if so, is there anything we can do about it? Does anyone know if the UK is similarly holding up post from the EU to the UK?

Shelley

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:25 pm

I have a package addressed to Kokkino Horio siting in Athens for over a month now, albeit with UPS not ELTA. My address clearly stated as being on Crete, every few days I receive half a dozen messages that they have tried to deliver it but failed then reset the tracker to Athens location as I have a tracking number so can watch its (non)progress. Needless to say I now have UPS flagged as Junk mail and have received a refund. Maybe there is a wider problem shipping mail to the island.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:17 pm

I don't know about mail but e-shop don't seem to be having any problems getting stuff to Crete. A friend ordered an item online on Thursday and picked it up from the Chania distribution centre on Saturday morning. If they can do that I don't see why a courier company can't.

Warwick

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:31 pm

Exactly!

BST

Postby BST » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:23 pm

Keltz wrote:I have a package addressed to Kokkino Horio siting in Athens for over a month now, albeit with UPS not ELTA. My address clearly stated as being on Crete, every few days I receive half a dozen messages that they have tried to deliver it but failed then reset the tracker to Athens location as I have a tracking number so can watch its (non)progress. Needless to say I now have UPS flagged as Junk mail and have received a refund. Maybe there is a wider problem shipping mail to the island.

UPS to Crete is always hopeless. Last week, 3 of us locally had UPS post delivered by taxi....to roughly where we live!!
No probs with ACS. DHL normally great as well.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:34 pm

I think you can abbreviate that, BST. "UPS is always hopeless". That was my experience 20 years ago, which was in France, and I haven't seen anything to change my mind

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:03 am

UPS to Crete is always hopeless. Last week, 3 of us locally had UPS post delivered by taxi....to roughly where we live!!
No probs with ACS. DHL normally great as well.

UPS was quite good in my neck of the woods until they farmed out their deliveries in Chania region to Geniki Taxydromiki. Now of course it is pretty bad.

daveB

Postby daveB » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:47 am

UPS give an undeliverable message for all packages from Amazon - don't know about others.
If you contact UPS Athens Customer Service they will give a different tracking number and tell you that the package is in Xania. The office is Geniki Courier [from Google Maps] don't bother phoning they never answer, go to the office with ID and quote the number and they will hand it over.
This not a defence of UPS as ACS, DHL etc have no problems with coming to the village and using the phone number from the address to call to meet in the square.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:46 am

That is good advice daveB and explains what is happening with my parcel. Thanks. I had a look at Geniki Courier reviews on Google Maps which are 99% awful many say they only gave it 1 star because you can't give a zero. Looks like they concentrate on business parcels and have no time for domestic residence deliveries.

I won't be going into Chania to pick up my parcel, as I can't make an appointment by phone do not want to risk a 300euro fine. The trip into Chania would cost me a couple hours and 6/7 euro on petrol when I have already paid for delivery and I wouldn't have bought the item anyway if that was the true delivery cost.

Looks like I will stop using Amazon and have bought from Ebay at a cheaper price. Fingers crossed it will arrive?

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:15 pm

Keltz wrote:That is good advice daveB and explains what is happening with my parcel. Thanks. I had a look at Geniki Courier reviews on Google Maps which are 99% awful many say they only gave it 1 star because you can't give a zero. Looks like they concentrate on business parcels and have no time for domestic residence deliveries.

I won't be going into Chania to pick up my parcel, as I can't make an appointment by phone do not want to risk a 300euro fine. The trip into Chania would cost me a couple hours and 6/7 euro on petrol when I have already paid for delivery and I wouldn't have bought the item anyway if that was the true delivery cost.

Looks like I will stop using Amazon and have bought from Ebay at a cheaper price. Fingers crossed it will arrive?

I spoke to them a few months ago re a package that they `couldn't' deliver, arranged for them to leave it at the kafenion in the square, picked it up following day.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:39 pm

The problem as I stated it in my original post now appears to be that the postman has been sacked and as yet there is no replacement! Par for the course, I would say. Intend going to Vrysses tomorrow to enquire about personal mail and will pop the question about when deliveries will resume. Again, expect to get the shrug of the shoulders as in 'not my problem mate'.

Aside from that, I have never had a problem with Geniki, except the one occasion when they contracted out to a taxi driver who misled us as to where he was. Problem eventually solved, same night, when he turned up in Kokkino Horio. Likewise DHL who recently handled our new passports from Belfast. The chief difficulty was in getting them to answer the phone but they did about 0920 the other morning. Promised delivery that same day and got the stuff to us by 1800, half an hour before their estimate. Job done. Bob.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:41 am

At Vrysses I was given a bundle of post for KH to look through. Postman there said it was all a big headache for him (!). However, promised that Monday or Tuesday (i.e. today or tomorrow) there would be a mail delivery, perhaps by the allegedly sacked Kostas, or maybe someone else. So there was no delivery at all last week.

We shall see. Bob.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:39 am

It was reported yesterday in ANATOΛΗ, which covers Lassithi, that the ELTA service was in a mess, now so few staff as leavers were not being replaced. Villages with fewer that 500 residents would only receive a weekly postal delivery, but there was no guarantee, it could be once in 10 days.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

BST

Postby BST » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:19 pm

Just seen Kostas delivering post in Xirosterni! :D

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”