Driving licences

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Mathitis

Re: Driving licences

Postby Mathitis » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:11 pm

With respect Mike, I was simply seeking clarification on the actual wording in the Greek Ministerial Decision - never said or implied that I would not do so.

trebor457

Postby trebor457 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:52 am

My wife & I both changed our UK driving licences to Greek 2 years ago with relative ease. Last year, when we were due to renew our car insurance, we obtained a quote, from a different company. We were told that because we had Greek licences it would be cheaper. Don't know if this was a sales ploy. Has anybody else experienced this? We did change and saved a considerable amount for comparable insurance.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:09 am

Not that specifically, but a warning here might be appropriate. We had fully comp car insurance with ATE who were taken over a few years ago by ERGO. When I bought a new car at age 78 and wanted to renew the insurance, the agent had to tell me, with reluctance, that because I had bought a new car, I could only have 3rd party, fire and theft, because I was too old for fully comprehensive insurance! So much for a no-claims record!! So beware, check with the agent before you embark on a new car if you are over 70. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Thu May 06, 2021 8:21 pm

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but the deadline is now extended to the end of the year:

If you are a UK national, beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement, resident in Greece, holder of a UK driving licence or a CPC driver qualification card, you can continue using your driving licence or CPC card without problem until 31 December 2021 (deadline extended by the Ministry of Transport and Communications on 27 April 2021 with Circular Note Δ30/Α3/112688).

https://brexit.gov.gr/uk-citizens-in-greece/

Phil C

Postby Phil C » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:06 am

Hi all

I have residency but wish to exchange my UK drivers license. Any suggestions where I can go to for eye sight test and physical in Rethymno please?

Phil.

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:24 am

Phil C wrote:Hi all

I have residency but wish to exchange my UK drivers license. Any suggestions where I can go to for eye sight test and physical in Rethymno please?

Phil.

The KEP Office in Kalyves gave us an official list of doctors/opticians in Hania who can carry out the tests. You local KEP can probably supply a list for Rethymno.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:38 am

Margarita is correct. There is an approved list of doctors who can carry out the medical and ophthalmologists who can carry out the eye test. The list changes from time to time so it is best to get a copy of the latest list from KEP immediately before doing the process.

Warwick

Phil C

Postby Phil C » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Hi
Thank you both I will look at this.

Regards
Phil.

Voni

Postby Voni » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Don’t forget to take your passport and driving licence with you….both optician and Doctor have to fill in part of their form with details taken from these. Make sure that they attach the receipt (10e) to the forms they give you after the examinations.

Assuming this is a new application and not a renewal, you will now also need some proof that you were in Greece before BREXIT, utility bill, bank statement etc. dated pre December.

Be warned the Greek licences can take a while to come back so if you are planning a trip to the uk soon and need to hire a car you may wish to delay applying as some Keps/MOT departments take your licence off you at application, some not until you get your new Greek licence.

The deadline for exchanging UK to Greek licences for British nationals who qualify under the withdrawal agreement, is now December.

We are still awaiting a licence back from our application made at the beginning of November!

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”