Driving licences

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Tim

Re: Driving licences

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:12 am

I went to a little photographic studio in town and made sure they understood I wanted a set of photos for a Greek driving licence. He produced a set no problem.

Tim

PS. I didn't think you could still, post-brexit, swap a UK licence for a Greek one. Or are you taking the driving test?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:07 pm

P&B wrote:I am trying to find out the exact size and spec of the photos needed to exchange a UK driving license to a Greek one but am getting conflicting advice.

Is anyone able to confirm?

I agree with Tim but I also believe the specification of the photographs you need to submit for a Greek driving licence are identical to the specification for Greek passport photographs. They are defined here. There are download documents near the bottom of the page that might be clearer.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:14 pm

solitude1 wrote:When i went to the KEP office the man behind the desk said UK LGV may not
be put on Greek licence, only permit to drive a car, albeit he was not 100% sure,
so i thought best not chance it until absolutely sure.

The man at KEP is correct. You cannot simply transfer any UK LGV categories to an exchange Greek driving licence, only car and motorcycle. Once you had the Greek licence you would need to go through the procedure to convert it to a Greek professional licence and that would involve additional training/testing. Exactly what additional training/testing would be required would depend on which categories you wanted to include. A driving school could advise you. There may also be age limits on some categories.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:33 pm

Yeah I agree with Tim as well ...our local photographic studio asks what you want them for ..and in the case of driving licence gave me the forms for the eye test and the health check. And then when I got them for the biometric permit, I had the photos done and went of for a coffee while he printed them he phoned the office in Αγιοζ Νικολαοζ to find out if they wanted the cd that's a good service .... I'm guessing it's the same fella Tim used ...

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:47 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Yeah I agree with Tim as well ...our local photographic studio asks what you want them for ..and in the case of driving licence gave me the forms for the eye test and the health check. And then when I got them for the biometric permit, I had the photos done and went of for a coffee while he printed them he phoned the office in Αγιοζ Νικολαοζ to find out if they wanted the cd that's a good service .... I'm guessing it's the same fella Tim used ...

I'm thinking probably not, Jeff. Sounds like you got a better service than I did. Halfway down Κορναρου on the right if approaching from the orange & blue hardware store.

Tim

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:07 pm

If it helps, it is the exact size photo required for the biometric card (may be you arranged for these recently?).
Someday is now : )

P&B

Postby P&B » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:24 pm

Thank you.

I have heard that my local shop was issuing people with the wrong spec photos hence my question what is the correct spec.

Thanks again.

PS - I think the latest deadline for converting to a Greek license is May although I have conflicting information about whether it is the start of May or the end of May. I am also led to believe that the process is more onerous post Brexit than pre Brexit but doesn't involve a test unless you are above a certain age.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:11 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:If it helps, it is the exact size photo required for the biometric card (may be you arranged for these recently?).

...which is the same specification as for a Greek passport.

Warwick

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:15 pm

As of today, the last date to swop a British licence for a Greek one is before the 2nd May.
There is a rumour that it is going to be extended, but nothing yet. I put in my application yesterday.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:14 pm

As far as I can tell the decision on exactly what happens to exchanging a UK driving licence for one of an EU member state varies from country to country. According to this UK government web page there isn't a cut off for Greece, or at least it doesn't specify a cut off for Greece while it does for other countries. Can anybody provide a link to the web site where they are getting this cut off information?

Warwick

Voni

Postby Voni » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:09 am

https://brexit.gov.gr/uk-citizens-in-greece/

Gives deadline of 2nd May click on the driving section tab halfway down the page.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:20 am

Thanks for that, Voni. It isn't an issue for me, since I have held a Greek licence since 2005, but I thought it might be useful to others to have a specific source. I must confess I have the Greek Brexit site bookmarked and I have used it a lot for information on the biometric residence card but I hadn't looked at any of the other information on it. It's expanded a lot since it first appeared.

Warwick

P&B

Postby P&B » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:06 pm

To quote the Brexit GR website it says "If you are a UK national resident in Greece, holder of a UK driving licence, you may continue after 1 January 2021 to use your UK driving licence without a problem, until 2 May 2021."

I interpret that as you would not be permitted to drive on a UK license after 2 May 2021. It doesn't actually say the deadline for converting a UK license to a Greek license is 2 May 2021. When I visited my local KEP office today I was told there was no deadline for converting a license but that it would now cost around 100 EUR as opposed to 30 EUR pre Brexit and that a "medical" and "eye test" are required.

Is there a reliable information source that explicitly states there is a 2 May deadline for applying to covert a UK license to a Greek one?

Tx

Mathitis

Postby Mathitis » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:17 pm

P&B wrote: To quote the Brexit GR website it says "If you are a UK national resident in Greece, holder of a UK driving licence, you may continue after 1 January 2021 to use your UK driving licence without a problem, until 2 May 2021.

The second sentence on the Brexit GR Website says ...(my highlight in blue)

" Joint Ministerial Decision Δ30/A3/24136 (Β’ 368/02-02-2021), published on February 2nd, 2021, allows UK nationals, resident in Greece, to exchange if they wish so, their UK driving licence for a Greek one."

Doesn't appear to be mandatory requirement???

p.s. appear to need guidance on how to quote properly!!

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 am

Is it not illegal to Drive on a UK driving licence whilst Greece is your Home?. The holder of a UK Driving licence must reside in the UK.
If Greece is your home why is it that so many have not converted their UK licence to a Greek one?.
We live in a Country that has welcomed us, it is therefor our duty to obey the laws of our adopted country?.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in- ... -in-the-eu

If you live in the EU, you will not be able to renew your driving licence in the UK.

Consider exchanging your UK driving licence for an EU licence as soon as possible in line with specific advice for your country of residence.

You can exchange your licence without having to take a test from 1 February 2021. A medical – physical and eye – examination will be required.
Also your current UK driving licence must be translated by a Lawyer. Possible total costs would be no more than e100.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”