Arriving on a sunday late

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
chrissyg

Arriving on a sunday late

Postby chrissyg » Sun May 09, 2021 5:43 pm

Does anyone know if there is a big supermarket like a Synka near Heraklion airport en route to Chania open late on a sunday so that i can get some provisions for our first morning in Crete? Hate having to go out before breakfast.

BST

Re: Arriving on a sunday late

Postby BST » Sun May 09, 2021 7:40 pm

There's a curfew still. So no.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 09, 2021 8:23 pm

Typically large supermarkets don't open at all on a Sunday nor do large stores. In the last couple of years some large supermarkets in tourist areas have done so but I don't know what is happening at the moment as the tourist season has not really got going properly. You'll probably find mini-markets open to get basics and then do a big shop on the Monday.

Warwick

PS Just did a check on a local Lidl that opened on a Sunday in the summer for the last couple of years and it is currently NOT opening Sunday so I would guess that none of them are.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Mon May 10, 2021 8:13 am

I am referring to when the tourist season will be open, in a couple of weeks, BST, and assuming the curfew is not still going.! Normally arrive in Chania and have seen a couple open along the main road and having to come into Heraklion this time and just wondered, not for the big shop just for a few bits.I will just have to keep an eye out. Thanks.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Mon May 10, 2021 10:00 am

As I understand it, the requirement to send an SMS message to move around, and the restriction on travel between prefectures, is to end this Friday, May 14th, am I right? It would be fairly daft to maintain restrictions/curfews on locals once tourists begin arriving.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 10, 2021 10:10 am

Sorry Chrissyg but we don't have a crystal ball. Shop opening is determined by the government and I only have a vague idea of what the government rules are now let alone what they will be a couple of weeks from now. All I can tell you is that large supermarkets aren't open on a Sunday now. If they will open, when they will open or what hours they will open is unknown.

At the moment supermarkets are open 08:00 to 20:30 Monday to Saturday. I presume that is because of curfew. Normally from about 1 May they open up to 21:00 so if curfew ends soon I would expect them to return to that schedule. If by "open late" you mean after 21:00 then no, I would not expect them to be open. I have never shopped on a Sunday so even if they do return to Sunday opening I don't know if that also goes up to 21:00.

The nearest Synka to Heraklion airport is on the road to Knossos quite close to the junction with the new national road. Their contact details are:

You could try contacting them directly closer to your departure. Mini markets can do whatever they want once curfew is lifted. I know one on the Omalos road close to the junction with the new national highway that is normally open pretty much 24 hours per day so I tend to use that if I am returning from Chania airport late at night. I am sure there must be something near your route. You don't say which direction you are going. If you are heading east I would expect there to be something open in Herssonisos or Malia. If you are heading west then there is very little so you might be better to head into Heraklion before getting on the national highway.

That is what has been said by Development & Investments Minister, Adonis Georgiadis, in an interview on Skai TV on Sunday, Mixos, but there hasn't been an official announcement of that yet as far as I know. The government has a bit of a track record of ministers saying what they want to happen and then it not happening. The Tourist Minister and the Development & Investments Minister are both desperate to get things open. Others, like the Protection Minister, are more cautious. I would expect an official announcement some time this week.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Mon May 10, 2021 11:52 am

No worries Warwick, just wondering if there was one near the airport that was 'normally' open sundays. Not the end if the world.
I'm sure we are all hoping for normality soon. We are getting close here in the UK and are now even being told how to hug people safely-lol. Hoping for better times in Crete soon.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Mon May 10, 2021 11:55 am

And yes, on that main road towards Chania.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 15, 2021 5:25 pm

If you are arriving on 16 or 23 May, Chrissyg, then you might be in luck. See this KTG article.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sun May 16, 2021 8:11 am

Yes saw that. Will probably be arriving on the 23rd actually but not late now. Flights changed and cancelled so many times..

Return to “General Discussion & News”