German tourists

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
moggieman

German tourists

Postby moggieman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:05 am

Why are German tourists being allowed to holiday on Crete ?? I thought Greece was in a total lockdown or does it only apply to locals.??

chrissyg

Re: German tourists

Postby chrissyg » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:18 am

Must be another "experiment", lol.

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:58 am

A neighbor from Germany arrived here on Saturday, maybe allowing home owners to arrive.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:09 pm

solitude1

Six plane loads arrived into Chania yesterday, dont think that many all own holiday homes, do you ???

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:26 pm

No, definitely tourists. All covid tested, but does seem a bit premature and unfair when Greece is still in actual strict lockdown!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 pm

moggieman wrote:solitude1

Six plane loads arrived into Chania yesterday, dont think that many all own holiday homes, do you ???

A search of arrivals and departures at Chania airport showed only 3 flights each way between Chania and Athens yesterday. :) Do you mean Heraklio?
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:08 pm

A search of arrivals and departures at Chania airport showed only 3 flights each way between Chania and Athens yesterday. :) Do you mean Heraklio?

The number of German planes filled with tourists has been increasing at every repetition since this was first in the news :lol:

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:53 pm

Utter madness. Those of us itching to get back to Crete and stuck in the UK, with the best vaccination rates in Europe but forbidden by law from leaving the country, can only look on in fury as Germany -- probably about to go back into lockdown because their Covid rates are so high -- sends plane loads of tourists! Some of the comments on Keep Talking Greece reflect how I, and I suspect many others, feel about it.

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2021/ ... -lockdown/

lDm

Postby lDm » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:58 pm

It is perplexing (my German neighbours took flights last month, but I'm not sure how they did it because German airlines seem to want pre-testing as well as surgical grade masks [or boarding is denied with any other type of mask, apparently] in addition to proof of serious reason for travel)
& GR residents are not allowed to fly / transit (unless it's emergency or 'going home'), then also for laboratory test results - it takes 48+hrs to get them from Heraklion, am I correct? (about the rule of 72-hr-prior testing)
So I'm not sure how those 'tourists' will be getting back.. after mandatory isolation, and with the 'homecoming' requirements..
And of course after the mutation cases overcrowding hospital 'spots', what then will happen in April..

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:26 pm

I am rather annoyed and a bit confused by this.

One of the passengers interviewed by the Zarpanews reporter at Chania airport said he was just here on holiday for a week.

According to the lockdown rules he will have to isolate in his hotel room for the whole duration of his stay. Even if he wanted to go out and break the quarantine, he could not send a movement SMS from his German SIM and he is not allowed out to buy a Greek one anyway.

What am I missing?

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:35 pm

Paleo

What you are missing is he/she has NO intention of quarantining.. He/shes on Holiday stuff the rules .........

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:58 pm

I don't really understand this. As has been said, they're 'supposed' to quarantine for a week on arrival before going out. Also, there are no bars, restaurants or cafes open. All the tourist attractions and many of the shops are closed. They won't be allowed to leave whatever municipality they are staying in. They will have to wear masks at all times while outdoors. And all the while they'll have the threat of heavy fines hanging over them if they do decide to flout the rules. The weather's still nothing to write home about - and when they do get home, presumably they will have to quarantine again. Doesn't sound like much of a holiday to me.

Tim

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:11 pm

"They won't be allowed to leave whatever municipality they are staying in. They will have to wear masks at all times while outdoors."

The first rules they will break

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:33 pm

I think British people who want to come here will have to wait for Stanley Johnson
to open his home on the mainland.

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:35 pm

moggieman wrote:solitude1

No you are probably right.

Return to “General Discussion & News”