German tourists

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kookla

Re: German tourists

Postby Kookla » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:41 pm

Does the Tourism Minister actually talk to the Health Minister?

I need to try and find out more info, my initial knee- jerk reaction is this is bonkers! After all the hardship, sacrifice and care we have taken.

If they, the German arrivals, are all to do with a reality tv show to be filmed, then this is undoubtedly ridiculous to film abroad in a global pandemic...

Rant over.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:02 pm

Kookla

Not all to do with a film see
https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2021/ ... -lockdown/

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 pm

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:24 am

Thanks for the links moggieman and Maud. My internet connection came back last night, so now I can read my usual 12 or so newspapers and catch up with what’s going on!

shine on

Postby shine on » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:31 am

Even a pandemic doesn’t stop a quick swift bung, money always has and always will talk louder than anything.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:43 am

Maybe the came early to lay their towels on the Sunbeds before the Brits and other nations arrive.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:26 am

:D

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:19 pm

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:14 pm

This was bound to happen, did not take long,
get ready for the next wave once tourists arrive.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:13 pm

If you look at the 7 day moving average of new daily cases and scale for population size Greece is approximately 50 % higher than Germany at the moment so there is a bigger risk of tourists taking COVID back to Germany than them bringing it to Greece.

Don't get me wrong. I think people travelling around Europe for vacation purposes when citizens are so constrained in their own countries and very low levels of vaccination is completely stupid but we need to keep some perspective about the risk levels. On Crete there are around 1,000 active cases at the moment, probably more, so it would need every single one of the tourists to be infectious to have a noticeable effect on the spread of the disease. We know from when the tourist season was open last year somewhere around 2 % of passengers tested positive so if the levels are similar now it would be insignificant with the numbers arriving. It will become a more serious risk when numbers increase.

Warwick

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:36 pm

Newly arrived German tourist in Crete tests positive for Covid-19

The man was travelling with the group. It was not clear which city he flew in from. According to Greek press reports, three flights from Germany (Munich, Frankfurt and Berlin) landed on Saturday, along with three more from other European cities.

Just what Crete needs at this time

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:39 am

A quote from today's Times newspaper:

"And in a nod to just how well the rollout is going, this week Greek officials said that, from April 19, arrivals from the EU and five other countries, including the UK, will no longer be required to self-isolate."

Just what we need. Bob. :(
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:01 am

bobscott wrote:... And in a nod to just how well the rollout is going,...

I am not sure how they justify the claim that the roll out is going well. According to ourworldindata, based on the number of people who have received at least one dose, of the 27 EU member states only 5 are worse than Greece and Greece is about 2 % below the EU average at around 15 %. The lower countries are Czechia, Romania, Croatia, Latvia and Bulgaria. Hungary has done more than double the number that Greece has and Malta almost three times, although it is a very small country so perhaps easier to achieve.

Also it is not yet realistic to release restrictive measures to any great extent on the basis that the vaccine will provide the necessary protection. For example, if no other restrictive measures were in place and the vaccines were 100 % effective, a vaccination rate of 15 % would reduce Reff from 4.5 to 3.8, i.e. cases would be rising faster than they did at the beginning of the first wave. A much higher level of vaccination is needed before it starts to have a serious impact.

I don't make the above comments to criticise Greece and what it has achieved in the area of vaccination. It is constrained by the number of vaccines that it receives from the EU procurement programme and most EU countries are clustered around the EU average as would be expected for a joint effort. The problem is the growing and widespread narrative that we now have vaccination so we don't need restrictions, which is completely false and the more it is followed the worse the outcome will be. It will become true when vaccination rates are high enough.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:29 pm

"And in a nod to just how well the rollout is going, this week Greek officials said that, from April 19, arrivals from the EU and five other countries, including the UK, will no longer be required to self-isolate."

As often, this is taken out of context to make it stand out more. You will need to be fully vaccinated or to present a negative PCR test and whilst no self-isolation is required you are still subjected to all the "standard" lockdown rules. Now that sounds a lot less fun!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:33 am

Jean wrote:

As often, this is taken out of context to make it stand out more. You will need to be fully vaccinated or to present a negative PCR test and whilst no self-isolation is required you are still subjected to all the "standard" lockdown rules. Now that sounds a lot less fun!

It will be a lot less fun if things at this end of the island are typical. No tavernas open except for take-away, similarly bars, cafes etc. Shops largely closed except for food stores. No beach beds (gosh!) etc. For my money, I think that Greece, trying to open the tourist sector (for understandable reasons) they are taking big gamble, notwithstanding PCR tests etc. Infection rates, intubations, deaths are increasing. Is this really the time to open up? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”