BRITISH BUILDERS

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
evansmr1

BRITISH BUILDERS

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:50 am

This is a warning to anyone contemplating hiring a British Builder within a 25 kilometre range of Agios Nikolaos.

I foolishly employed such a character. Got fleeced with an extra cost. he was unable to fix some snagging unless I pay for the materials. Have a serious problem with a leaking window, reported to him so many times, will not even tell me the name of the supplier so that I can ask them to visit. Now the under floor heating has stopped working in one room, refuses to even consider looking at the problem.

It is costing us a lot of money to correct the many faults that he left us with. We gave him so much work (with hindsight, foolish us).

I am going to speak to my Lawyer, but not certain as to what I can do as he is not registered himself in Crete. Doubt he even pays Taxes.

So a warning to anyone in this area. I will disclose his name to anyone contemplating any building work.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:26 pm

You will have to pay tax on all the work done. I think it's referred to as IKA.

evansmr1

TAX ON WORK DONE

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Yes I have paid the EKA independent of the builder. It was estimated for me by Europlan
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:57 pm

In that case it is safe to report him to the police.
Or you could use the Greek method and simply make it difficult for him to walk. ;)

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:28 pm

SatCure wrote:...Or you could use the Greek method and simply make it difficult for him to walk. ;)

With the warning that the last person that did that spent a long time in prison. Not really recommended.

Warwick

evansmr1

BRITISH BUILERS

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:35 pm

In that case it is safe to report him to the police.[/quote]

For what offence would I report to the Police?

Cannot afford the alternative you suggested.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:47 pm

With the warning that the last person that did that spent a long time in prison.

I never followed up on that one. How long did he spend in jail?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:00 pm

I can't remember the details. I think he got sentenced to 15 years but was out in less. I know somebody who talked to him after he got out and asked why he had shot at the legs. He replied that he hadn't, the chap had stood up as he pulled the trigger.

Warwick

Retired in Crete

Re: BRITISH BUILDERS

Postby Retired in Crete » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:01 pm

evansmr1 wrote: Now the under floor heating has stopped working in one room, refuses to even consider looking at the problem.

Suggest that you contact an electrician for this. I would recommend Augustos Kootelteris. You can contact him on 28410 89101 or his mobile is 69445106052. He is the guy who wired my house.

Hope this helps

John

Freelancer

British Builders

Postby Freelancer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Hello everybody,
I have been reading this site for some years and have always found it very interesting and helpful, and have decided to put in my two pence worth.
I've been working in Greece, ( not Crete, ) legally as a freelancer, ( builder, )
paying taxes etc. for a good few years and I have heard this story many times.
It is very difficult to know whose side to take - six of one half a dozen of the other - type of thing. Putting that to one side, unfortunately it seems the norm all over Greece that it is ok to employ your local Bob the Builder type.
No health insurance, no income tax or FPA paid, then the majority complain that we pay too much property tax, are taxed on our imputed income or on our world-wide income, ( and even lie to avoid paying that. )
Back to the point.
Mike, you say that you have paid the IKA on this building work so you must have had an 'adeia' to carry out the works in the first place. If you builder is not registered with IKA or TEBE then he should not be doing the work - it's as simple as that.
I have not heard of Europlan but I assume that the IKA you have paid was linked up to IKA registered guys that you probably have never seen ?
I hope you have got the paperwork that shows this IKA payment or potentially you will be in trouble with IKA in about 10 years time when they seem to revisit the files.
Assuming you have paid the said builder in cash he will say 'it wasn't me mate' - end of story - the police will not be able to help as they need to catch him working.
I will send you a PM if possible with a suggestion of what you might need to do, if you decide not to take that route you can post it if you wish.

Freelancer

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Jean wrote:
With the warning that the last person that did that spent a long time in prison.

I never followed up on that one. How long did he spend in jail?

If it's the one I'm thinking of - about a year.

LittleJohn

British Builders

Postby LittleJohn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:21 pm

I read with interest the post regarding "British builder" and would have been interested to have heard the builders side of the story, as I am sure there are always two differing tales. Is it really relevant whether the builder concerned pays his tax in Crete or not, as surely this is a matter for the Greek tax office and not the business of this forum.

Edited by Carolina due to personal nature of the post

Kilkis

Re: British Builders

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:03 pm

LittleJohn wrote:I read with interest the post regarding "British builder" and would have been interested to have heard the builders side of the story, as I am sure there are always two differing tales. Is it really relevant whether the builder concerned pays his tax in Crete or not, as surely this is a matter for the Greek tax office and not the business of this forum...

The particular builder being discussed defrauded a huge number of customers and suppliers. He took payment for properties that he never even started. As far as I know nobody ever got their money back. He took money for properties that he never finished. The buyers had to pay somebody else to complete the properties so paid for some of the work twice. He used local contractors who he then didn't pay. I think it was one of these that shot him but I am not certain of the details. Overall both foreign buyers and local contractors were defrauded of millions of Euro.

No it is not just a matter between the tax office and the builder concerned. Part of the money he took from customers was to pay the IKA for the workers who did the building. This he never paid so the buyers had to pay this IKA again themselves. In many cases, because he had not paid contractors, it was impossible to get certification of work done so it was not possible to get the building signed off. Buyers had to pay these contractors themselves or employ other contractors to get this certification. Without this certification and paying the IKA it is impossible to get permanent electricity connected and the house remains illegal.

This is all well documented and involves hundreds of people so it is not just one dissatisfied customer moaning. I've met several of the people who were defrauded in this way. There is no builder's side to the story.

Warwick

Retired in Crete

Re: BRITISH BUILDERS

Postby Retired in Crete » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:40 pm

Warwick,

You are a little confused. This is the subject of the thread:

evansmr1 wrote:This is a warning to anyone contemplating hiring a British Builder within a 25 kilometre range of Agios Nikolaos........................So a warning to anyone in this area. I will disclose his name to anyone contemplating any building work.

......and not the one to whom you are referring who was based in the west end of the island.

John

Return to “General Discussion & News”