Interested in the Rethymno Carnival

Local items in Crete - including festivals, concerts, traditions, courses, workshops etc
chrissyg

Interested in the Rethymno Carnival

Postby chrissyg » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:42 pm

I am interested in the Rethymno Carnival and was thinking about coming out to Crete in feb/march next year. Assuming it goes ahead next does anyone know the best place,web-site to get info ( in english) as to the exact dates and best bits to see etc? Anyone been to it? What i have heard and seen looks great.

Kilkis

Re: Interested in the Rethymno Carnival

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:18 pm

I think Rethymnon usually holds its main carnival procession on the Sunday immediately before Clean Monday so next year it ought to be on Sunday 6 March 2022. There will probably be other events in the two or three weeks leading up to the final weekend. I can't 100 % guarantee that but I think it is correct. It is probably the biggest on Crete but certainly not the biggest in Greece, which I think is Patras. Wikipedia claim that is the biggest in Greece, the second biggest in Europe and the third biggest in the world. I can't recommend any events but the big procession is the main one. There is information on the Patras one here and Rethymnon will probably follow a similar BUT not identical pattern.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:04 am

Clean Monday? Is that when they give up meat, like a Lent thing or something. Thanks, have you ever been to it?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:31 am

Yes, Clean Monday is the start of Orthodox Lent, roughly equivalent to Shrove Tuesday. It is a national holiday and people normally go out and eat fish so fish tavernas are typically packed.

No, I haven't been to any big carnival processions. I did go to the one in Kalyves many years ago but that is quite small.

As an aside, abstinence/fasting in the Orthodox church is longer than most people think. Clean Monday this year was on 15 March and Easter Sunday, Pascha, is 2 May. That means from Clean Monday to Easter Saturday is 48 days all of which is fasting. The usually quoted 40 days runs from Clean Monday to the Friday before Good Friday and is meant to commemorate the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness. The Saturday is Lazarus Saturday and the Sunday represents Palm Sunday and are also both fast days. The following week is Holy Week representing Jesus' trial, torture and execution ending in his resurrection at midnight on Saturday so again all fasting

I doubt if many Greeks, other than monks and priests obey the full rules which involve both fasting, i.e. not eating between certain times of day, and abstinence, i.e. not eating certain proscribed food groups. Many Greeks obey abstinence rules for the whole period often quite rigorously. A lot are a bit more lax but do partially observe abstinence rules for the whole period or completely in Holy Week. Some only obey abstinence/fasting on Good Friday and Easter Saturday.

Apologies to religious scholars if my description is not totally accurate.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:26 am

Not a religious scholar by any means, but sounds pretty good to me. Went to Rethymno carnival a few years ago. Much better and bigger than the Kalyves one (to be expected I guess). Need to set off early because the highway to Rethymno can get busy! Also be prepared to walk a bit and park on the edges of the town rather than try to get into the car park. Dismal failure. Enjoy it. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:57 pm

If you are going to Reth carnival take ear plugs as all the whistles will
affect your hearing.

Return to “Festivals, National Events & Courses”